According to the best practices in top Universities and research institutes the ERA Chair search committee has an active role in identifying, reaching out and selecting the ERA Chair Holder.
The committee includes the following personalities:
- Prof. James Morris – served as department head, then dean in the School of Computer Science of Carnegie Mellon where he held the Herbert A. Simon Professorship of Human Computer Interaction. Prof. Morris was also dean of the Silicon Valley campus and founder of MAYA Design, a consulting firm specializing in interactive product design.
- Prof. Robert Spence –Professor emeritus and former department head of the Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Imperial College London and is currently Institute Fellow at M-ITI.
- Prof. Don Norman – Cofounder of the Nielsen Norman Group, a member of the National Academy of Engineering, IDEO fellow, and former Vice President of Apple. He helps companies make products more enjoyable, understandable, and profitable. His books include Emotional Design, Living with Complexity, and an expanded, revised edition of Design of Everyday Things.
- Prof. João Sentieiro – Former Presidente of the Portuguese National Science and Technology Foundation and Director of the LARSyS Associate Laboratory.
- Rodrigo Costa – Former Corporate VP of Microsoft and VP of Portugal Telecom and member of the Luso-American Chamber of Commerce and advisor for the Portuguese Technology Plan. Currently Member of the Board of Optimus Zon.
- Board of Directors of Madeira-ITI – Nuno Nunes, Pedro Campos and Valentina Nisi
- Faculty from Madeira-ITI – Evangelos Karapanos and Simone Ashby